Department of Radiology, University of Cambridge School of Clinical Medicine.
Honorary NHS Consultant Radiologist
Specialty: Prostate cancer Imaging, Genito-urinary Radiology
Contact: Email: T Barrett Tel.: + 44 (0)1223 336895
Tristan Barrett graduated from St. George’s Hospital Medical School, London in 2002. After completing his Royal college of Physicians examinations, he worked as a Visiting Fellow at National Institutes for Health, USA in the Molecular Imaging Program from 2005 to 2007, under the tutelage of Dr Peter Choyke. Research projects at NIH included prostate cancer MRI, angiogenesis imaging, and the bench-side development of targeted contrast agents.
He trained in radiology at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge, and developed an interest in education, becoming a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, and co-authoring books for medical students and residents. On completion of radiology residency, he undertook a fellowship in body imaging at the University of Toronto, Canada, collaborating with Masoom Haider in prostate imaging projects.
He is currently a University Lecturer in the Department of Radiology at the University of Cambridge and an Honorary NHS Consultant Radiologist.
His main clinical research interest is in prostate cancer, with a particular interest in multi-parametric MRI techniques for identifying and characterising prostate tumours.
Field of Study
University of London.
University of London.
Royal College of Physicians.
Royal College of Radiologists.
Higher Education Academy.
University of Cambridge
Prostate Cancer Imaging
- Mr Vincent Gnanapragasam: University Lecturer in Uro-oncology and Consultant Urological Surgeon
- Mr Christof Kastner: Consultant Urological Surgeon. Lead for Surgical Service Innovation Chair of the Urology Local Multi-Disciplinary Team
- Dr Peter Choyke: Program Director, Molecular Imaging Program, Imaging Section, NIH, Bethesda, USA
- Baris Turkbey, Associate Research Physician, Molecular Imaging Program, NIH, Bethesda, USA
Last 5 Publications
Best 6 Publications
- T. Barrett, F. Riemer, M. McLean, J. Kaggie, F. Robb, A. Warren, M. Graves, F. Gallagher. Molecular imaging of the prostate: comparing total sodium concentration quantification in prostate cancer and normal tissue using dedicated 13C and 23Na endorectal coils. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2020; 51(1):90-97. PMID: 31081564
- T. Barrett, F. Riemer, M. McLean, J. Kaggie, F. Robb, J. Tropp, A. Warren, O. Bratt, N. Shah, V. Gnanapragasam, F. Gilbert, M. Graves, F. Gallagher. Quantification of Total and Intracellular Sodium Concentration in Primary Prostate Cancer and Adjacent Normal Prostate Tissue With Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Invest Radiol. 2018; 53(8):450-456. PMID: 29969108
- T. Barrett, M. McLean, A. Priest, E. Lawrence, A. Patterson, B. Koo, I. Patterson, A. Warren, A. Doble, V. Gnanapragasam, C. Kastner, F. Gallagher. Diagnostic evaluation of magnetization transfer and diffusion kurtosis imaging for prostate cancer detection in a re-biopsy population. Eur Radiol. 2018; 28(8):3141-50. PMID: 29222677
- T. Barrett, H. Vargas, O. Akin, D. Goldman, H. Hricak. Value of the Hemorrhage Exclusion Sign on T1-weighted Prostate MR Images for the Detection of Prostate Cancer. Radiology. 2012; 263(3):751-7. PMID: 2247467
- Y. Urano, D. Asanuma, Y. Hama, Y. Koyama, T. Barrett, M. Kamiya, T. Nagano, T. Watanabe, A. Hasegawa, P. Choyke, H. Kobayashi. Selective molecular imaging of viable cancer cells with pH-activatable fluorescence probes. Nature Medicine. 2009; 15(1):104-9. PMID: 19029979
- T. Barrett, Y. Koyama, Y. Hama, G. Ravizzini, I. Shin, B. Jang, C. Paik, Y. Urano, P. Choyke, H. Kobayashi. In vivo Diagnosis of Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Expression using Molecular Imaging with a Cocktail of Optically Labeled Monoclonal Antibodies. Clin Cancer Res. 2007; 13(22):6639-48. PMID: 17982120
Radiology for Undergraduate Finals and Foundation Years: Key Topics and Question Types. T. Barrett, N. Shaida, A. Shaw. Radcliffe Publishing; Masterpass series (2010). ISBN-13: 978-1846194467.
FRCR Part 2A: Single Best Answer Questions (SBAs) for the New Format. T. Barrett, N. Shaida, O. Thomas, A. Shaw. Anshan Publishing (2010). ISBN-13: 978-1848290419
Radiological anatomy for the FRCR Part 1 examination. T. Barrett, V. Raj. Anshan Publishing (2011). ISBN-13: 978-1848290556