Department of Radiology, University of Cambridge School of Clinical Medicine.
Contact: Email: Karen Eley
Tel.: + 44 (0)1223 746768
Karen Eley is a NIHR Clinical Lecturer in Head & Neck/Neuroradiology.
She completed her DPhil at the University of Oxford prior to commencing Radiology training on the Cambridge rotation as an Academic Clinical Fellow.
Her main areas of interest include 3D printing and novel MRI techniques for imaging the head and neck.
She successfully established a working group and secured funding to establish a fully centralised 3D-printing service within Addenbrooke’s hospital.
Her current research focuses on segmentation of bone to create 3D reconstructed images of the craniofacial skeleton from MRI in young infants with conditions such as craniosynostosis. This work is funded by an Academy of Medical Sciences Clinical Lecturer Starter grant.
- Eley KA, Rossi-Espagnet MC, Schievano S, Napolitano A, Ong J, Secinaro A, Borro L, Dunaway D, Marras CE, Rennie A, Robertson F, Picardo S, Longo D, Inserra A, Rollo M, Cooper J, Mankad K, Jeelani NO, D’Arco F. Multiparametric Imaging for Presurgical Planning of Craniopagus Twins: The Experience of Two Tertiary Pediatric Hospitals with Six Sets of Twins. Radiology. 2020 Nov 3:202216. doi: 10.1148/radiol.2020202216.
- Eley KA, Delso G. Automated 3D MRI rendering of the craniofacial skeleton: using ZTE to drive the segmentation of black bone and FIESTA-C images. Neuroradiology. 2020 Aug 8. doi: 10.1007/s00234-020-02508-7.
- Eley KA, Moazen M, Delso G, Javidan M, Kaggie J, Kalaskar DM, Knowles JC, Owji N, Watt-Smith SR. Enhancing Distraction Osteogenesis With CFR-PEEK Bone Pins and a 3D Printed Transfer Device to Permit Artefact-free Three-dimensional Magnetic Resonance Imaging. J Craniofac Surg. 2020 Aug 6. doi: 10.1097/SCS.0000000000006908.
- Eley KA, Delso G. Automated Segmentation of the Craniofacial Skeleton With “Black Bone” Magnetic Resonance Imaging. J Craniofac Surg. 2020 Jun;31(4):1015-1017.
- Kralik SF, Supakul N, Wu IC, Delso G, Radhakrishnan R, Ho CY, Eley KA. Black bone MRI with 3D reconstruction for the detection of skull fractures in children with suspected abusive head trauma. Neuroradiology. 2019 Jan;61(1):81-87. doi: 10.1007/s00234-018-2127-9.
- Eley KA. Centralised 3D printing in the NHS: a radiological review. Clin Radiol. 2017; Apr; 72(4); 269-275. doi: 10.1016/j.crad.2016.01.013
- Eley KA, Watt-Smith SR, Golding SJ. Three-dimensional reconstruction of the craniofacial skeleton with gradient echo magnetic resonance imaging (“Black Bone”)” what is currently possible? J Craniofac Surg. 2017 Mar; 28(2): 463-467.
- Eley KA, Watt-Smith SR, Sheerin F, Golding SJ. “Black Bone” MRI: a potential alternative to CT with three-dimensional reconstruction of the craniofacial skeleton in the diagnosis of craniosynostosis. Eur Radiol. 2014 Oct; 24(10):2417-26. doi: 10.1007/s00330-014-3286-7
- Eley KA, Watt-Smith SR, Golding SJ. Magnetic Resonance Imaging-based tumor volume measurements predict outcome in patients with squamous cell carcinoma of the mandible. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2013 Feb; 115(2): 255-62 doi: 10.1016/j.ooo.2012.10004
- Eley KA, McIntyre AG, Watt-Smith SR, Golding SJ. “Black Bone” MRI: a partial flip angle technique for radiation reduction in craniofacial imaging. Br J Radiol. 2012 Mar; 85(1011): 272-8. doi: 10.1259/bjr/95110289